Taking a Listen to Post Malone's Sophomore Album "beerbongs & bentleys"
Post Malone’s second studio album beerbongs & bentleys was released April 27th, 2018 after being long awaited by his fans. Malone teased 3 hit singles for months before the album drop, pushing his album status to Platinum in under 24 hours. The project boasts 18 tracks with 15 of them being totally brand new to listeners. Hit songs like rockstar ft. 21 Savage, Psycho ft. Ty Dolla $ign and Candy Paint from the Fate of the Furious album are all included in the track list, along with other songs and features from some of the biggest names in hip-hop music.
After listening to the album, I had some strong opinions on the music. As always, Post’s voice is exceptional on every track, but the lyrics were repetitive throughout many songs. The album is perfect for some easy listening, but don’t expect to uncover some deep meaning from the album (like J.Cole K.O.D, for example). The album is heavy with references to drugs, alcohol, sex, partying, luxury cars and just general lavish living.
That being said…there are some great tracks that are definitely worth listening too so I’ve picked apart the lyrics, references and influences from each track on the album.
- Honest and very vocal focused
- Lyrics discuss the truth about fame and the effects it has on him
2. Spoil My Night (ft. Swae Lee)
- Post talks about paying for and crushing on a stripper
- Uses word “boobies” which is cute and funny
3. Rich & Sad
- Only track on the album without the song title in the actual song
- Talks about losing a relationship after sky rocketing to fame
- Heavy “summer vibe”
4. Zack and Codeine
- Hilarious reference to the Disney Channel show “the Suite Life of Zack and Cody” with lyrics like “my life so sweet I feel like Cody”
- Mostly talks about partying in hotels
5. Takin Shots
- Produced by PARTYNEXTDOOR who’ve worked with the likes of Major Lazer and Nicki Minaj
- Straight up party song littered with drinking, drugs and sex references
6. rockstar (ft. 21 Savage)
- Highlights stereotypical “rock star” behaviour like drinking and doing drugs
- Name drops Jim Morrison of The Doors and Bon Scott of AC/DC
- Released as a single on September 15, 2017
7. Over Now
- Discusses the end of a relationship with a materialistic woman with lyrics like “kept your heart on the counter in a Prada bag” and “not religious, only Christian when it’s Dior”.
- Emotional and lyrically powerful, especially in the chorus
-Co-written by Mötley Crüe drummer Tommy Lee, who also plays drums on the track
8. Psycho (ft. Ty Dolla $ign)
- All about luxury and lavish things money can buy
- Released as a single on February 23, 2018
9. Better Now
- Post looks back on a previous relationship, seemingly both him and her are trying to hide that they still have feelings for each other
- Another heavy “summer vibe”
10. Ball for Me (ft. Nicki Minaj)
- All about spending money and living the lavish celebrity lifestyle
- Collaboration with Nicki Minaj, one of music’s biggest names
- Post tries to deal with a breakup by consuming copious amounts of alcohol and distracting himself with parties and women
- He wants her to “save” him and the relationship
- Musically intricate track, highlights Post’s vocals with various tempo changes
- Totally acoustic track which makes it stand out from the rest of the album
- Post said the song is influenced by George Harrison of The Beatles, David Bowie and the band Oasis
13. Blame It on Me
- Details the effects of living a luxurious lifestyle, complete different vibe than hits like Rockstar and Psycho
14. Same Bitches (ft. G-Eazy & YG)
- Literally a song about him and his friends hooking up with the same group of women that often chase after musicians
15. Jonestown (Interlude)
- 2-minute track repeating the same lines over and over again
- Track seems to be referencing the Jonestown cult massacre led by the People’s Temple leader Jim Jones where nearly 1000 people drank poisoned “Kool-Aid” in a mass suicide…creepy?!
16. 92 Explorer
- Another track about spending money on cars
- Direct reference to his 1992 Ford Explorer that he customized incredibly after buying it for a mere $1700
17. Candy Paint
- Laced with pop-culture references with lyrics like “damn, I love paper like I’m Michael Scott”
- Released on the “Fate of the Furious” album, re-released as a single on October 20, 2017
18. Sugar Wraith
- Final song closes out the album with yet another song about luxury vehicles
- Some discussion of his come up in the music industry with lyrics like “I was broke last year, can’t go back there”
Stream beerbongs & bentley’s here, and tell us what your favourite song is down below!